Saturday 12 September 2015

Weigh Away

One thing that I find is that any kind of hands-on activity will keep kids engaged and be a popular center in the classroom.  That is why I've cut back the time my class spends on doing worksheets in Math to about 5-10 minutes and given them lots of time (45 minutes) to go to Math centers.  While they're there, of course, I'm with small groups, often working on similar or even the same type of assignment that they would've been doing if the worksheets were longer.

I needed a weighing center for Math a couple of years ago and couldn't find one that would suit my needs.  I wanted it to have a variety of different tasks for the kids to work through at their own pace.  I ended up making these task cards and they have become the best seller in my TpT shop.  (I thought I was just being too picky, but it looks like there was a niche in the market! Lol.)


There are 3 different activities included. The first is finding how many unifix cubes weigh 
the same as the given item.


The second is predicting which of 2 given items weighs more.  

The third is comparing objects to a given weight. I made two copies of these cards; one with ounces and the other with grams. 
Each of the 3 activities requires a prediction before weighing.   


I also made all the cards in black and white to save the pricey coloured ink. 




set up the balance scales, along with all the items that they need for weighing.  All they have to do is grab a recording sheet and a few task cards and they're off and weighing.  They love it so much that I've had kids ask me if I could include it again when we switch out the centers.  I might have to make a second set! 

To look at Weigh Away in my store click here or on any picture of the task cards above. 
 
I'm joining Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching today for her Spark Student Motivation Saturday linky. 
Click to head over to pick up some great ideas for your classroom.




3 comments:

  1. Our kids never get enough practice with weighing and measurement. What a terrific center!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I got out the scale just to take a couple of pictures for this post and just seeing it out caused a flurry of excitement! They wanted to use the scale RIGHT AWAY!
    Always Primary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Debbie! Weighing is one of those areas I seldom get to. I'm glad you shared.

    Grade ONEderful


    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin