Saturday 6 September 2014

It's an E-MERGENCY!

Last week I shared about the wonderful gift card that a bunch of parents from my class gave me for a year end gift.
A very short time ago...

Today I had to go to Chapters to get my sweet granddaughter Sydney a gift card of her own for her 12th birthday.  I can hardly believe she's twelve already.  The years fly by even faster when you're a grandparent than when you're a parent!

                                                                 

While I was there I browsed through the kids' section a bit and found
E-MERGENCY! by Tom Lichtenheld and Ezra Fields-Meyer. It is so clever that I really couldn't resist.


Beginning:  The letters all live together.
Notice the P in the bathroom. My little boys are going to collapse when they see this!
One day E falls down the stairs and has to be taken away in an ambulance.
Other letters can be seen looking on in horror, and Y says, "WHY isn't E even crying?"  O replies, "Sometimes E is silent.
Middle:  At the hospital E is placed on total bed rest in order to recover. While E is absent from the alphabet, O is selected by A (who is obviously in charge) to replace E because O is "so well-rounded". There are hilarious "letter-play" like this on every page. 
More Middle:  Because O is replacing E there are all sorts of mix-ups. 

More middle:  When the letters find that E is not recovering they take a road trip to make sure everyone knows that is is recovering and not to be used. 
But when they get home they find E has still not recovered. And then they realize that the narrator of the book is still using E to tell the story. 

End:  With the solution discovered E makes a speedy recovery and things return to normal in the alphabet. 

I think that this book will offer not only great entertainment, but an opportunity to point out why it's important to use correct letters in words.
I made this sheet for my class to do after I read E-MERGENCY to them. 

                                    Click here if you'd like to use it too.

I'm linking up to Book Talk Tuesday with  Deanna Jump today.  Check out the other book ideas over there too!



1 comment:

  1. My student will love this! Thanks for sharing the response page :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin