Friday 24 July 2015

Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping

Last fall I discovered Scaredy Squirrel and I love the books.  (The kids in my class were WAY ahead of me...they know all about him!)
I read Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping (by Melanie Watt) to them. It was just recently published at the time, and none of them had read it yet.

Scaredy Squirrel is so popular that we already had 4 out of five of the books in our school library and I have recently found them on Epic! (if you don't have this app yet you MUST check it out.  I blogged about it HERE).  They are also on Just Books Read Aloud, another free reading app that I recently found.  Listening to books and reading on apps is fantastically popular in my classroom.  Even the more reluctant readers love getting the chance to do these centers.
I made a set of activities to accompany Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping and my class completed several of them when we finished reading the book together.  The full product is available at Teachers Pay Teachers, but I have made a preview freebie that includes 3 of the 10 activities included in the full package.  The link for the freebie is at the end of the post.

The first is a craftivity Emergency kit.  Scaredy Squirrel is always prepared for disasters that he is sure are about to befall him!
  

I adapted the emergency kit idea from Jennifer's Teaching Tools which you can find here.

The second activity is an interview sheet.  Students make up questions they would ask Scaredy if they were a reporter, and then answer as if they were Scaredy.

The third is a sheet that I always keep in my Listening Center for kids to complete when they have finished listening to a book.  It is called Making Connections and requires students to make either a Text to Text, Text to Self, or Text to World connection, write about what happened in the story, and explain what it reminded them of.

I hope you enjoy using these in your classroom.  Get the freebie  HERE, then check out more of this week's freebies at Teaching Blog Addict


3 comments:

  1. I love Scaredy Squirrel! Melanie Watt is one of my favourite children's author's/illustrators. I love that Scaredy Squirrel, although afraid, always ends up facing his fears and realizing they aren't actually that bad. Thanks for sharing.

    @ Wiley Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids just love it when he plays dead! There are so many great lessons in these books. I hope she keeps writing them.
    Always Primary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie, This is Fern from Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas.
    This Scaredy Squirrel resource is terrific! I want to thank you for linking up at my Teaching Blog Addict's Freebie Friday post last week! Please come back tomorrow because you're my Featured Blogger! Congratulations!
    Have a great weekend,
    Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin